September 21, 2009

Tricks for Children's Fever: The Fever Chart

Aaaaaaah... can't you feel it? Winter is coming!

Last week, my family survived yet another cold virus, the first one of the season. I found myself taking everyone's temperature and AGAIN googling what is the temperature that is considered a fever, when to go see the Doc, etc.. I must have visited at least 10 sites before finding my answer. To complicate things even more, you need to consider how you took your child's temperature (rectal, under the arm/axillary, or in the mouth - hopefully not with the same thermometer!!!).

Yesterday, as I was reading one of my favorite parents' magazine, I found an article on fever. That's when I promised myself: "next time, I'm going to be prepared!"

I created myself a reference table, printed it and placed it inside the cupboard where we keep our thermometers, pain/fever medicine, etc. I also added the number of Telehealth Ontario (free access to a registered nurse — 24 Hours a day, 7 days a Week) and my doctor's number for quick access.




In this table, I can easily find the different levels of fever for each method and the times to call a doctor or directly go to the hospital. I know when to worry, and when it's "no big deal".

Once you've determined it's a mild fever, you can decide whether to let it run its course (under supervision) or to try lowering it with medicine (Acetaminophen such as Tylenol®, Tempra®, or Ibuprofen, found in products such as Advil® and Motrin®).

Again, this chart is something I hate using, but I'm glad it's there when I need it!

These numbers were pulled from:

-October 2009 issue of the Canadian Family magazine (p.28)(the magazine assures readers that these numbers are verified by Pediatricians at SickKids®, The Hospital for Sick Children)

-CPS (Canadian Paediatric Society) - Sept. 2009

-CFPC (the College of Family Physicians of Canada) - Sept 2009


However, if you don't know me, I do NOT have a medical background, so verify these numbers on your own. This is my chart that I use at home, but I am not responsible if these levels or phone numbers change. Below are the websites where I found my information. Make your own chart/table with the temperatures or phone numbers you need when these situations occur.


Canadian Sites:
http://www.cfpc.ca/English/cfpc/programs/patient%20education/fever%20children/default.asp
http://www.cps.ca/caringforkids/whensick/fever.htm


US/International
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fever/DS00077
http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/fever.html

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea Barb! I hate always having to check the numbers, and second guessing when I use one method of checking temperature over another! Ingenious:)
    Amanda F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if a temperature go down for a person to be dangerous. Could you please send it to my email meetglimmerstar1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete